Friday, April 23, 2010

Temple of the Great Fish










OK, this is a new piece I am working on. This is based off of an old sketch from my sketchbook that you may have seen before.

I am going to print out this drawing very lightly on watercolor paper, then paint it with watercolors and pen&ink. I also have several other drawings in the works, but all at various states. My friend Marc Taro tells me I should post a photo of them on the blog anyways, just to show how big they are and to give everyone an idea of what is to come. I will do that soon.

I can't decide with this one whether or not I like the additional buildings/temples in the background, or if it should just be a desolate mountain-scape, making this particular temple seem very remote. What do you think?

6 comments:

Peter Reed said...

Looks good, I'd have to say that I think putting more buildings in the backfround would make for a stronger piece. I say this because you do great architecture, and I think this scene surrounded by a bustling metropolis would be great. With the mountian background it would be fine but I think it tells more of a story if the fish head is a part of the story and not the whole story. Either way I'll be looking forward to the results.
-Pete

Ben Greene said...

Dig the details on the fish and the sturdy look to the foreground architecture. I'd like the see the bg buildings go away, personally. I find them a little distracting from the sense of mystery I want to feel here. That's just a personal preference though. Really nice strokes.

mikeburns@mikeburnsart.com said...

If there is architecture all around him I think it would make him seem like a common resident within a city, whereas if you removed the architecture I think it would make him seem more sacred/ or unusual as he would be residing in his own secluded location. That's just my take on it though. Either way, I look forward to seeing the finish!

Mattias Adolfsson said...

Love the black and white version as well

Anonymous said...

Hi there. I loved this work of yours and I kept wondering if you got inspired by a story or something like that. I was just asking because (and this may sound a little bit akward) I happened to dream with that very "scene" when I was younger.

Sean Andrew Murray said...

Well, I have to say that is interesting! No, I just sorta "saw" the image in my mind and sketched it a few years ago (maybe 4 or 5 years ago?). How long ago did you have this dream? It is now part of a story that is in my upcoming book: Gateway - TheBook of Wizards.....